At Hiawatha Academies, we are seeking feedback from families so we can make a very important decision. Hiawatha Academies has a longer school day and school year than most schools in Minnesota. In the next few weeks, we will explore whether to change the length of the school day and school year to better support our scholars, families and staff.
We are evaluating the length of our school day and school year for several reasons:
- We believe in expanded learning time and the opportunity to provide a well-rounded, rigorous curriculum.
- We currently have a longer school day and school year than most high-performing public and charter schools.
- We care deeply about having a school day and school year that supports the life schedules of our students and families.
- We value scholar access to enrichment programs, internships, jobs, sports and summer programs as important opportunities for character development and college preparation.
- We want to make sure work is sustainable for our teachers and staff so that they are well-positioned to provide scholars the best education possible, year after year.
Before we make any decisions we need to understand how the length of the school day and school year affects parents and families. Your feedback is very important to us, and we won’t make any decisions until we are able to hear from you.
Scholars brought surveys home to their families before Thanksgiving break. If you did not receive a survey, please contact your school as soon as possible. We hope you’ll also join us for one of several parent meetings to discuss possible changes.