- Eligibility + − Hiawatha is an open enrollment public charter school.
- New Kindergarten applicants must be 5 by September 1st or seek admission under Hiawatha Academies’ Early Kindergarten Admission policy. For children who turn age 5 between September 2-December 31, please see Early Kindergarten Admission policy details below.
- Each student must complete an individual application (i.e. not one application for the family).
- Important Enrollment Dates + − October 1
Priority application opens for the upcoming school year. To apply, send in your application via mail or call a school office to arrange a time to visit.
Priority registration ends. Postmark your registration by February 15th to ensure priority consideration.
Lottery to select new scholars. If we have more applications than seats, scholars are placed on a wait list.
March 5 – March 31
Acceptance and wait-listed notices go out to all applicants.
Applications continue to be accepted and families placed on a waitlist in the order in which they were received. Waitlisted applicants will be contacted as seats become available. Families who are on the waitlist enroll on a first-come, first-serve basis.
First day of school!
- Early Kindergarten Admissions + −
If a child turns five years old between September 2 and December 31, they may be eligible for consideration for early admission to kindergarten, based on the following procedures:
- Applicants must indicate on the student’s application for admission that the student will turn five between September 2 and December 31.
- Children must complete a classroom observation and an Early Childhood Screening before they may enroll in the school.
- The screening results must be shared with the school office. If the child passes the four Developmental screens and is assessed by the classroom observation teacher as kindergarten ready, they will be considered eligible for Kindergarten and may enroll.
- Applications for early admission to kindergarten will be considered immediately after Hiawatha’s general lottery. Students recommended for early admission to kindergarten will be enrolled after all kindergarten-eligible students are placed and there is additional space available.
- While a spot may be offered, enrollment is contingent on the screening of the child’s knowledge and understanding, physical motor skills, communication skills, social/emotional development and an observation in a kindergarten classroom.
- Official Enrollment and Lottery + − In the event that we receive more applicants than spots available, Hiawatha is required to conduct a lottery.
- In the event that it is needed the lottery will take place on MARCH 1st
- Families will be notified of their enrollment status after MARCH 5th
- All new applications will be entered into the lottery. Enrollment will be determined based on the order selected from the lottery
Order of admission preference
- Currently enrolled students: Receive primary enrollment preference.
- Siblings or foster sibling of currently enrolled students: Siblings of currently enrolled students have preference before children of staff and general lottery applicants. In the event of more siblings than spots available, a sibling lottery is held and establishes a sibling waiting list.
- Children of staff: Children of staff receive preference before prior year waiting list students and general lottery applicants. In the event of more children of staff applicants than spots available, a staff-children lottery is held and establishes a staff-children waiting list.
- General Lottery Enrollment: In the event that there are more new applicants that spots available, a lottery will be conducted. New student applications must be submitted by February 15th to be considered for the general lottery. The lottery is conducted from highest grade to lowest grade to fill all available enrollment spots. The lottery is also continued in order to assign wait list positions based on the order selected.
- Siblings of enrolled students from the general lottery: In the event that a family has multiple siblings applying for more than one grade, sibling preference will apply as soon as enrollment is determined in the lottery grade. In the event a sibling waiting list exists, the sibling of the general lottery enrolled student will be added to the sibling wait list based on the order selected.
- Applications received after the February 15th deadline: Applications received AFTER the February 15th deadline will be placed on the general wait list on a first come first serve basis following the lottery process.
- Applications received after the February 15th deadline will be placed on the wait list on a first come first serve basis following the lottery process.
- If enrolled in a first choice school, students will be taken off the wait list of any other Hiawatha Academies school.
- If enrolled in a second choice school, students will remain on the wait list for the first choice school selection. In the event that a spot becomes available in the first choice school, rolling enrollment will always be on a “top of the waiting list first” basis.
- Completing Enrollment + − In order to confirm enrollment at Hiawatha Academies, a parent must attend a new parent orientation or make arrangements with the school.
- Commitments to Excellence Contracts + −
At the time of enrollment, families who join Hiawatha Academies are asked to sign a Commitment to Excellence Contract for their chosen campus.
Though each school has their own Commitment to Excellence, the goal for each is the same: to outline expectations for parents/guardians and scholars in order to achieve our shared mission of nurturing scholars empowered with the knowledge, character, and leadership skills to graduate from college and serve the common good.
Individual school’s Commitments to Excellence can be found here:
- Admittance During the School Year + −
In the event that a spot is open after the first day of school but before the last day of school, and there is a child on a waitlist waiting to fill that spot, rolling enrollment will be limited to the following window, and during this window will always be on a “top of the waiting list first” basis. The window is:
From First Day of School to March 1st
During the enrollment window, if a kindergarten applicant is selected off the waiting list to fill an available spot, the child must have attended another school or program that is subject to compulsory attendance during the school year.
- Transfer Within Hiawatha Academies Network + −
- Returning students requesting transfer to another Hiawatha Academies network school will have preference before siblings, children of staff, prior year waiting list students, and general lottery applicants only for the purpose of keeping siblings together at the same school location. To be eligible for the advanced preference, a transfer request form must be completed by February 15th.
- Transfer requests for all other purposes will receive the same preference as general lottery applications.
**In rare circumstances with board approval, the executive director has the authority to exceed enrollment capacity on a case by case basis.