“I chose to work at Hiawatha because I believe it is the most high performing, mission driven school network in Minnesota.”
Hiawatha Academies Teacher
“I chose to work at Hiawatha Academies because I believe it is the most high performing, mission driven school network in Minnesota.”
Hiawatha Academies Teacher
“I feel the value “we push ourselves to improve” is the core value that best represents me.” Full interview.
“The team of teachers and staff at Morris Park is really what keeps me going.” Full interview.
Working at Hiawatha
Hiawatha Academies is a network of high-performing, college-preparatory charter schools that are closing the opportunity gap in south Minneapolis. We are a team of relentless educators who are taking responsibility for every scholar’s education. Our scholars are proving that all children can succeed regardless of race or background.Apply Now!
A purposeful and joyful career
At Hiawatha Academies, we believe that great people create great schools. We know the work we do is challenging but incredibly important. We strive to create a collaborative and joyful professional community that offers each of our teammates a purposeful career.
What sets us apart from other high-performing charter schools is how much we care about creating a joyful school community that honors the dignity of each scholar. This includes:
- Responsive classrooms with high expectations that honor scholars’ social-emotional development and well-being
- Well-rounded curriculum with options that include visual arts, performing arts, physical education and elective classes
- Time to develop strengths, passion and talent with options like sports teams, clubs and other enrichment experiences.
- Meaningful partnerships with families that empower parents to support their scholars’ learning and advocate for a more equitable education
We use data to set challenging yet attainable goals that we support each other in reaching. Teachers, principals, cafeteria managers and network leaders all use data to inform decision-making. For our classrooms, this means that all staff – from the most veteran teacher to the newest team member – carefully and deliberately makes decisions by putting the needs of scholars first.
At Hiawatha Academies, we believe that excellent teachers are the most important factor in closing the opportunity gap. Once you join our team, we are committed to helping you continue to grow and develop in your craft:
- Two weeks of intensive professional development in the summer
- Professional development sessions most Fridays
- Weekly classroom observations
- Weekly strategy sessions with grade-level teams
- One-on-one coaching and goal-setting
- Opportunities to attend conferences and other outside events
As our teachers learn and grow with us, they will climb a career ladder that increases both compensation and responsibility.
Exceptional benefits package
Our benefits and compensation are competitive. We offer:
- Competitive salary
- More than nine weeks of paid time off and school holidays
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Health and dental insurance
- Participation in state pensions/retirement programs
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Flex spending (FSA) program
- Pre-tax retirement savings plan (403B)
- Life insurance
- Fitness and eye care discounts
Our commitment to diversity
Hiawatha Academies is a growing organization where talented individuals make significant contributions towards closing the opportunity gap. We believe it is critical for leaders in urban education to reflect the communities they serve. We actively recruit staff members who reflect the rich diversity of our scholars. We support equal opportunity for all candidates and encourage candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply for positions at Hiawatha Academies.
As Hiawatha has grown, we have also increased the percent of our teachers who identify as people of color. In the 2014-2015 school year, we had 45 teachers and 15% self-identified as people of color. In the 2016-2017 school year, we more than doubled our teaching staff and the percent of our teachers who self-identified as people of color increased. In the 2017-2018 school year, 30% of 123 teachers (at the time of the survey) self-identified as people of color.
As an Employer of National Service, Hiawatha Academies recognizes the unique skills of national service alumni. Accordingly, AmeriCorps alumni, returned Peace Corps volunteers, and other national service participants are encouraged to apply to our job openings.
About The Twin Cities
Minneapolis and Saint Paul together form a major metropolitan area built around the Mississippi, Minnesota and St. Croix rivers in East-Central Minnesota, and are commonly known as The Twin Cities with a combined population of 3.9 million residents.
The Twin Cities boast big city amenities like museums and sports stadiums, alongside a thriving local culture that includes farmer’s markets, local coffee shops, restaurants and unique shopping experiences from boutiques to the mega Mall of America.
Year-round cultural events draw creative people and audiences for theater, visual arts, writing, music, fairs, and film festivals – making MSP the cultural capital of the region.
Minneapolis, the younger city, presents modern skyscrapers while Saint Paul has been likened to a European city with quaint neighborhoods offering an array of well-preserved Victorian architecture along tree-lined neighborhoods.
Explore more at Minneapolis.org
All four seasons figure prominently in Minnesota. An abundance of lakes, wetlands, creeks, waterfalls, and the Mississippi River – many connected by parkways, hiking trails and bike paths – keep spring, summer and fall devotees physically fit. Winter activities feature the City of Lakes Loppet Ski Festival, the Saint Paul Winter Carnival, ice fishing, ice skating, skiing, hockey and more.
Diversity is one of our greatest strengths. The Twin Cities are home to a vibrant African American community, Native American heritage, and large Latino, Somali and Hmong populations.
With 3.9 million residents, The Twin Cities metropolitan area is multicultural and has become home to generations of diverse immigrant communities from around the world. Diversity is our strength, but life in the Twin Cities has other perks too:
- Number one happiest state (WalletHub2017)
- Second best state for working moms (WalletHub2017)
- Fourth best state to raise a family (WalletHub2017)
- Fourth best city for recent grads (NerdWallet 2017)
- Fifth best city for millennials (Niche 2017)
- Sixth best state for teachers (WalletHub 2017)
- Sixth best state for an active lifestyle (WalletHub 2017)
- Ranked twelvth as the greenest city (WalletHub 2017)