Dear HCP-Northrop Families,
I am so excited to welcome you and your 5th grader to Hiawatha College Prep-Northrop! We will kick off our school year in August 2018 with a founding class of 90 students and their families.
HCP-Northrop seeks to educate our students differently for an ever-changing world. Our school is based on these core beliefs:
- Strong Community. Students and staff are given opportunities every day to foster deep, trusting relationships. Families are crucial partners in our program.
- Equity. Time is devoted each day to knowing ourselves and each other well and supporting each other to build a more equitable world.
- Agency and Action. Our school program gives students structured choice about:
What they learn
How they learn
How they show what they know
How to impact the school and their communities in ways they believe in
- Academic Excellence. Our school is based on the knowledge that deep relationships, strong investment in productive choices, and outstanding instruction, are all necessary for students to be academically prepared for college and life beyond.
If you want to learn more about our model, we will continue with our Family Foundation events beginning in February of 2018.
I cannot wait to start this journey with you and your student. Together, we are going to have an incredible school!
Ms. Sherene Judeh
AT A GLANCE
Student hours: M-Th: 7:25 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
F: 7:25 a.m. – 1:15 p.m.
Office hours: M-F: 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Enrollment: Now accepting 5th grade applications for the 2018-19 school year. Enroll today!
Location as of fall 2018: 4640 17th Avenue S., Minneapolis, MN 55407
Academic and curriculum highlights:
- Advisory (Crew): All students are known and know each other well. We devote school time each day to building community and striving toward a more equitable world intentionally through our advisory (crew) and community times.
- Personalized Projects: Students have time built in each day to work on a standards aligned project of their choice. Project parameters and demonstrations of learning are supported by their advisor (crew leader).
Agency: Students and adults engage in experiences that helps us to know ourselves well and advocate productively for the changes we want to see in our communities. We have choices of what we learn, how we learn it, and how we show we know our content and ideas.
Values: Commitment to our Community, Empathy, Reflection, Joy, Agency
Mascot: The HAWK symbolizes our ability to observe and gain insights into ourselves and our world. Hawks also represent leadership and initiative. As HCP-N hawks, our team will learn to know themselves, know their skills and values, and use those to lead for the common good.
Uniforms: We wear uniforms to unite us as a community, present an equitable learning environment, and reduce distractions. HCP-Northrop uniform is black slacks and a maroon HCP-Northrop branded polo or hoodie. Students may wear black or white shoes with their uniforms.
For more information contact our Director of Enrollment and Admissions:
Ted Dohm, 612-385-7430, firstname.lastname@example.org